Sunday, November 27, 2011

Don't you ask yourself that question!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IkhM0i8sV0&feature=related


Beth Moore talks about working out and she says, "Don't you ask yourself that question, you get your tail out there and do what you need to do!"  Amen!  We ask ourselves too many questions.  Do we ask "Am I going to have lunch today?"  Nope.  We eat.  We plan our meals.  We dream about dessert.  And we live in bondage.  How much do you weigh?  What did you eat today?  Was it good or bad?  Hmm...these pants don't really fit right..looks like my pants are ready to explode.  Yup, that's mental bondage.  Consumed by unnecessary thoughts.  I don't know about you but I have enough going through my head.  So as I head into a new week I remind myself of how good I feel when I exercise and get it done for the day.  The absence of guilt when I know I've moved my body "enough" for today. 

As a woman, a wife and mother, I've come to realize that I need "teasers" during the day to keep me going.  I need a good lunch to get me through the afternoon and evening with the kiddos.  I need a break at naptime to have some quiet and do some things alone without the children around.  If my husband were here (or if he ever got the million dollar memo I tried to get him to understand) he'd flirt with me on the phone or something so that I'd actually be happy to see him when he came home in the evening. lol  I've learned the same goes for exercise.  Doing a full workout at naptime hasn't been working for me.  My son wakes up before I've had adequate alone time and I feel jipped.  Or he interrupts me while I'm in a zone doing squats and tries to run over my foot with a file cart. 

BUT...if I get my butt downstairs and get on the pilates chair for some movements, my body warms up and I'm reminded of how good it feels to be slimmer and more flexible.  I have my Leg Magic right at the bottom of the stairs so as I see myself in the mirror I'm reminded to hop on for a minute or two before I allow myself near the computer.  I have several 10 minute options, just abs, a full body 10 min workout, arm weight segments, etc.  If I get on the pilates chair, do some arm movements and some abs and get the heart rate up a bit, in less than 20 minutes I've given myself the teaser and I still have plenty of quiet time before the kiddos wake up.  Then when the kids go to bed for the night, I have the energy and enthusiasm to do a full workout.  Here's the thing, 50 or 60 minutes straight through sucks.  It's just too long.  Unless the workout is REALLY fun...it's just long.  You shouldn't be checking the clock.  That's why I like Ellen Barrett's workouts.  45 min or so but the movements flow so well you just keep going.  Richard Simmons is 50-60 minutes but it's "low impact" compared to the other stuff I've been doing so 50-60 min is necessary to equal a decent amount of work for one day.  If I'm doing a high intensity workout, 15-30 min is all I can muster.  On an ideal day, I'll do an Ellen Barrett workout and then add on a 10 min arms, abs or higher intensity segment to complete the hour.  Knowing what works is half the battle...and tomorrow I will NOT be asking myself if I will work out.  I will tease at naptime and get ready for the full show after bedtime. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment