Monday, October 17, 2011

Homeschooling Look-alikes

It's Monday...I have a certain crampy blahhh inducing visitor so the mojo is at zero today.  I've gotta get it back because I need to exercise hard this week and it's the last thing I actually feel like doing.

I'm ignoring the exercise bit for a moment to share something interesting...well, interesting for me.  I was watching Sister Wives and then The Real Housewives of New Jersey's reunion and Gino was playing with his cars on the floor.  (We had a very off day yesterday so he went to bed at barely 6pm and woke up about 8:30, we had some oreos and milk and I let him stay up with me and I promised he could sleep in my bed since he had been asking to do so for a while.)  Anyway, at one point he came onto the couch and got in his "nest" between my legs.  We use his big Pottery Barn comforter on the couch and it's over my legs and he climbs onto it and then pulls the extra section over him so technically we're both covered but he's extra cozy and he lays his head on my big fat gut. lol I was flipping between Bravo and TLC and we watched a promo for next week's Sister Wives and he goes:  "Are those homeschoolers?" 
Me:  "Why do you think they are homeschoolers?" 
Him:  "Because I hear you talking about homeschooling and homeschoolers and they look like regular people we know."
Me:  "How come you don't think they (flipping back to Bravo's evening dress/styled to the nines/makeup and false lashes) aren't homeschoolers?"
Him:  "They're too fancy to be homeschoolers."
Me:  "So what makes these women (going back to Sister Wives) seem like homeschoolers? Is it because they have kids with them?"
Him:  "Yeah, they look like regular people and they do fun things and they go places and they play with their kids."

Hmm.  So, first off, I guess I'm not the only one that has noticed homeschoolers tend to be an au natural bunch.  The Sister Wives don't wear much makeup, if any.  They wear "normal" every day casual clothes.  Gino noticed the similarities.  Personally, I'd like to be somewhere in the middle.  I don't need a stylist or a size 2 body.  I don't need a nanny or Jimmy Choos.  I love makeup and hair but frankly, it's not worth the effort to make a quick stop at the library and then Target.  So I doll myself up for a random dinner out with friends or for a homeschooling get-together.  My mom wears makeup every single day if she leaves the house.  I'm not that extreme now but I used to be (back when I was hot stuff and loved the attention ;-).  I also think it's borderline insulting to the people you are socializing with when you come looking like you just woke up from a nap and forgot to brush your hair.  But for my son to notice the difference was pretty surprising.  He's quite the people-watcher like his mom so I shouldn't be that surprised I guess.  ;-)  I am happy that Gino is realizing we are part of a community of like-minded people who put their children first, are making countless sacrifices for their decision and are out DOING things, contrary to the stereotype.

A special note:  I've been seeing some awful eyebrows lately.  Eyebrows frame the face.  With excellent eyebrows you get an instant face lift.  Over-tweezing, eyebrows that need a weed-wacker, not filling in sparce eyebrows or having two different shapes tells me (and the world) you haven't a clue.  Please let someone help you!

1 comment: